Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tears at the Metro

(Ed. Note: You can find the Prequel to this entry here.)

My brother and I, after an uneventful 12 hour drive* from Chicago to Hancock, MD last night, arrived in DC around 9 a.m. this morning. It took us only about 45 minutes to unload the moving truck. A little while later we were off to Georgetown, where I finalized the last of my paperwork before school begins next week.

He had a 5 p.m. flight, so around 3 o' clock I walked him over to the Columbia Heights Metro. As we walked, I thought about this past summer and how much fun I had crashing at his place, and how I feel like we're closer than we were even just a few months ago.

We bought his ticket, I showed him on the map where he was going, then we said goodbye. I hugged him and I suddenly began to cry. He looked at me like, "WTF?" I told him I loved him, which I think just made it worse. I felt like an idiot but I couldn't help it -- we'd had a really good drive and I am glad he took the time off work to come with me, and I told him so.

To make me feel better he said, "You know, we're going to come visit you!" and I said, "Yeah, I know." I was still choked up and couldn't really talk. It was like I was 17 and heading off to college (for the first time) again; like this was my first move away from home, which of course is ridiculous.  He's right that I'm going to see him often enough, but what I wanted to say was that, even if he was back to visit every weekend, it doesn't mean that I still can't or won't be lonely.

I've got good friends here in DC and I'm looking forward to making even more in the next few months. But right now, today, I'm really missing the ones I had in Chicago.

P.S. - I need to go to IKEA tomorrow. And find a hardware store. And a laundromat. Ugh.

* Getting pulled over by the cops in Ohio isn't eventful, is it?

1 comment: