Friday, October 2, 2009

Go Chicago!

So in about 13 hours Olympic history will be made and the world will know which city will host the 2016 Games.

This topic has been debated for years. And in Chicago over these last few weeks it has been hard to pay attention to anything else.

I'm a Chicagoan, born and raised. True, I don't live there now, but I full well might be come 2016.

I hope Chicago wins.

There is a lot of opposition to it. The biggest arguments from Chicagoans include: the chance that city taxpayers might have to pay an enormous price tag; that the money being spent could pay for services more desperately needed; And that Daley is an ass (my buddy Guy from Chicago posted a few convincing arguments against it here). I get these. I get all the arguments against Chicago 2016. And yes, it is easy for me to ignore the headaches (traffic, construction, etc.) and instead rather blindly support and hope for a win while I'm living in another city.

But for me it comes down to this: in 30 or 40 years, when people who are against Chicago 2016 (like these fucktards) are looking back on their lives and taking stock, I just don't see any of them reminiscing with "Remember that time when we successfully blocked Chicago from winning the Olympics? That was cool." What I do imagine, however, is a million Chicagoans reminiscing about how amazing it was back in 2016 when people from all over the world came to the city and were there with them when history was made.

Or maybe I'm just full of shit.

Anyway, good luck today, Chicago. I'll be cheering for you.

UPDATE:
O damn. Maybe next time.

(I think this woman is my old boss from the hospital.)

No comments:

Post a Comment